This is recreation over the usual spicy tuna roll, turning it into tuna lava sushi with Greek yogurt instead of mayo. If you like fresh tuna sashimi and can tolerate spicy Sriracha sauce, you will love this roll. It’s creamy, tangy, umami, and fresh. This roll is for tuna-lover, as we’re doubling tuna in both the filling and the spicy topping.
The roll is made up of simply 2 ingredients as filling: fresh Ahi tuna and avocado slices. As you know, Ahi tuna meat is quite firm and mild in flavor, while avocado is buttery and creamy. When rolling together, they create a nice contrast of red vs. green inside. With the wrapping white rice and black nori, each slice stood out enough on its own.
As you might have known, most spicy sushi employ spicy mayo as the binder and flavor enhancer. In this recipe, I used 1 tablespoon of plain full-fat Greek yogurt from our homemade batch. It’s so thick, smooth and mildly tang which can perfectly bind the minced tuna and other ingredients well enough. In fact, I’ve been substituting yogurt into our salad, soup, and other recipes that requiring a binding agent.
Back to the sushi topping, I also include chopped scallion (green part only), masago, and roasted sesame seeds. If you like your roll more savory, some salt can be added, though I would skip it since the pieces will be lather with unagi sauce anyway. Just use the same ratio of yogurt to Sriracha the same way you would with typical spicy mayo. You might want to make some extra spicy yogurt to drizzle at the end instead of extra plain yogurt.
Once the roll is ready, cut into thin slices, 9 or 10 pieces instead of the usual 8. The mixed topping can be then spooned on top. Drizzle all your favorite sauces on top and sprinkle some chopped scallion as decoration.
The overall presentation is pretty nice, with flowing red topping on top of black&white sushi pieces. These sliced can be served with pickled ginger or ume to clean the palate.
Tuna Lava sushi roll w/ Greek Yogurt
- 4 oz tuna sashimi-grade, divide into filling and topping
- 1 cup cooked sushi rice
- 1 tbsp sushi vinegar
- 1 sheet nori
- the minced portion of the above tuna
- 1 Tbsp Greek Yogurt plain
- ⅓ Tbsp Sriracha or chili sauce
- 1 tsp masago
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- chopped scallion green part
- stick-cut portion of the above tuna
- ¼ avocado slice
- Extra Greek Yogurt
- unagi sauce
- Sriracha or chili sauce
- Cut tuna into ½-inch-width long sticks. Divide and set aside enough to make the filling.
- MInce the remain.
- Combine all the topping ingredients with minced tuna. Whip with a fork to mix them well.
- Set aside or chill for 10 minutes while you're preparing the base tuna roll.
Base Tuna-Avocado sushi roll
- Season cooked sushi rice with sushi vinegar.
- Spread rice onto a sheet of nori over a flat surface or bamboo mat.
- Arrange the tuna filling and avocado slices.
- Lift, tuck, and roll starting from the nearer end.
- Cut the sushi roll into thinner slices.
Crafting together & Serve
- Place sushi slices onto a serving dish with either of the cut surface facing up.
- Spoon Lava topping on top of each slice.
- Drizzle with extra unagi sauce, yogurt.
- Dot with extra Sriracha sauce if desired.
- Sprinkle additional chopped scallion to decorate.
- Serve with pickled ginger.
Leave a Reply