Do you love seafood? Well, if you’re not allergic to those shellfishes, this is one of a simple yet delicious dish to make at home. Bang bang shrimp is a famous appetizer in many restaurant menus, more like a spin-off the traditional popcorn shrimp, I guess.
Your kiddo will love the crunchiness and great fresh tasting shrimp, and you will love the creamy, tangy, and sweet of the cover sauce. At Bonefish Grill, they coated the fried shrimp in the sauce completely, just like the buffalo wing with – err shrimp version. Personally I like the sauce as a dip, or just pour over so that the crunchiness still go on even after a long hour of serving time.
For the sauce, I include a simplified version, since Sriracha and the sweet chili sauce could be found almost at any grocery store that carries international food. If you can’t find any, then look out on future posts for the long fully home make bang bang shrimp sauce version.
Bang Bang Shrimp Recipe
- 1 lb large shrimp
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp seasoning powder
- ground pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil
For Bang Bang Sweet sauce (simplified version)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha or Chili sauce
- 3 Tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wash, remove shell and de-vein shrimp
- In a large container, add a sprinkle of ground pepper and 1 tsp seasoning powder to Shrimp, shake to mix evenly.
- Add 1 Tbsp all purpose flour, 2 Tbsp cornstarch and 1/4 tsp salt to the shrimp. Again, shake them up.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk to the container. Stir, shake or bang them up so that all the flour/powder become a thick batter and coat around the shrimp evenly. Let sit for about 10 minutes
- Beat an egg in a separate bowl.
- Place 2 cup of Panko bread crumbs in another bowl
- Now turn on your deep fryer or heat source(if you’re pan-fried), pour in the vegetable oil
- Wait a couple minute until oil are hot
- Take each batter covered shrimp and dip it in the egg, then roll the shrimp in the breadcrumbs till evenly coated.
- Drop the shrimp into the hot oil, quickly repeat for all other shrimp
- Fry the shrimps until light golden brown, then remove from oil, and place them on parchment paper.
- In another container, making the spicy sweet sauce by combining 1/2 cup Mayo, 1 Tbsp Sriracha, 3 Tbsp sweet chili sauce, 2 Tbsp rice vinegar and a sprinkle of salt.
- Beat and mix them good, then just pour the sauce over your fried shrimp. Shake to mix or serve as is.
Leave a Reply