When the chill is coming, it’s time for soup. This Chicken Avocado Lime soup is one of the easier to make from fresh ingredients that combine a bit of everything: tangy, salty, spicy and meaty flavor.
This soup feel so light and aromatic that any guest would ask for a second. For more appealing presentation, have some tortilla chip on hands to serve as side or balance the meal.
If you’re on certain diet, this can work as a meal replacement too, with so much protein from chicken, healthy fat from avocado and bunch of vitamins and mineral from herb and vegetables. Just the a good all natural chicken broth/stock that you could find or brew your own from chicken bones.
Just a side note, choosing breast that has some rib meat on will enhance the taste, as it could be more crunchy and chewy. Skip the oil if you’re making this as a comfort soup for someone to regain their wellness.
- ½ lb skinless chick breasts w/ rib meat
- 1 qt sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 cloves garlic
- a handful of cilantro sprig
- 1 lime
- 2 stem green onion
- ½ white onion
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tomato
- 2 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- Dice onion, cut and separate green and white parts of scallion.
- Cut, pitted, remove seed/skin of avocado then dice it.
- Slice Jalapeno, remove seeds if needed.
- Mince cilantro, and dice tomato too.
- Place stock pot over high heat, when hot, add 2 Tbsp oil.
- Wait for 1-2 minutes till oil is hot, then stir in crushed garlic, white scallion parts and diced onion.
- Saute and keep stirring until tender and start giving off aroma.
- Add chicken, stir a bit to brown the outer surface then add tomato, jalapeno and cumin.
- Add chicken broth and bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 30-45 minutes,
- Prepare a cold water bath. Squeeze out all the lime juice into the simmering pot then throw the lime skin into cold water bath.
- Remove the chicken from pot and submerge immediately into cold bath for 5 minutes.
- When cool, shred the chicken with a fork and add back to the simmering pot.
- Season the soup if need, add avocado chunk.
- Sprinkle with some ground pepper and cilantro.
- Remove from heat and serve with extra lime wedge on top.