This year for the festive treats, make up the miniature trees with waffle cones and royal icing in this recipe. It’s so easy and fun to do, so get your kids occupied over their winter break and let them go wild with their ideas.
It’s so fun to work with, you just need a couple of leaves tips and a piping bag. Simply pipe onto the waffle cone to cover it green all the way around, then sprinkle with decorative sugar flakes or sprinkles.
You can also make imitation snow with powdered sugar, white sugar granules, or coconut flakes. Either sprinkle while the icing till wet or dab a bit of corn syrup onto it for adhesive power.
Remember those fruit roll-up or chocolate string, cut them to size, and use them in place of light strips with round sprinkles as light bulbs. If you have a golden star candy, place it on top of the tree.
You can use these trees to decorate your gingerbread house, cupcakes toppers, or hide candies inside like a mini pinata flavor. The royal icing will be dried hard, so the cone can still be used for ice cream perfectly well.
The recipe below includes ingredients for the whole project on top of a basic stiff royal icing from meringue powder. If you don’t have meringue powder, use egg whites on a hot-tempered bowl set-up. You can also use corn syrup, but more sugar has to be added to reach pipe-able consistency.
If you like your icing to be softer, add more water. Use a dropper to go slow. Though you can always add more sugar to make it stiff. Remember, whip it on low/medium and never pass the 5 minutes mark altogether of whisking.
Simple Christmas tree with waffle cone and royal icing
- 3 waffle cones pine tree base
Basic Royal Icing w/ Meringue Powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp hot water extra water to dilute depending on climate/consistency
- 1 Tbsp meringue powder
- green food color
- powdered sugar snow immitation
- decorative sprinkles
- Stir together hot water and meringue powder.
- Add powdered sugar and whisk on medium till thick, do not whip for more than 5 minutes.
- Divide into small bowls and add food colors of your choice.
- Use any leave tip, and pipe onto the waffle cone starting from the bottom up.
- You can also spread green icing onto the waffle cone with a spatula before dip it into green sugar or decorative granules.