In the world of sushi, there are rolls that more specialized in cleansing and refreshing your taste buds such as this seaweed salad sushi roll. This roll combines the mildly sweet-n-sour seaweed salad with refreshing cucumber, umami kani and creamy avocado to perfectly cleanse while kicking a knot.
The whole idea is to have a fish-free, protein-free that doesn’t make you feel as full. Not to mention the joys that was brought by those super crunch seaweed.
To best complement this roll, use ponzu as your dipping sauce. Those lovely pink pickled ginger work perfect too.
Another thing to note is that this roll can be served immediately or store in fridge to chill a little. The seaweed will feel more crunch, and the whole thing will feel much more refreshing. Just make sure to full wrap the whole roll/piece with plastic wrap or air tight container to avoid dryness.
Recipe for Crunchy seaweed salad sushi roll
- 1 oz dry mixed seaweed of any kinds
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp roasted sesame seed
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 quarter size ginger
- 1 scallion
- 1 cup cooked and seasoned sushi rice
- 2 sheets nori
- 4 sticks kani imitation crab
- 1/2 mini cucumber
- 1/4 Hass avocado
- Soak seaweed in water for 20 minutes. In the mean time, grate/mince ginger and scallion.
- Thinly slice cucumber and avocado into long thin strip.
- When seaweed are re-hydrating, rinse and thinly slice them.
- In a bowl or container, add sliced seaweed and the rest of the salad ingredients. Stir well to mix them all.
- Place a sheet of nori on top of bamboo mat with grainy side up.
- Spread sushi rice evenly atop nori, leaving about an inch at the very end.
- Take half the seaweed salad and arrange onto rice. Then place kani, cucumber and avocado slices.
- Lift, tuck and roll into sushi roll. For more detail on rolling maki sushi, go here.
- Repeat above steps for second roll.
- Cut sushi roll and serve with pickle ginger and some ponzu or soy sauce.