One of the basic cabbage roll is with ground pork and mixed vegetable. Its taste is so simple, light yet meaty sweet and delicious that make you ponder: nothing is better than food at its natural flavoring.
This cabbage roll recipe simply mixes up pork, vegetable and crunchy black fungus. However, if you can’t find black fungus, just use mushroom, dried shitake, or even breadcrumbs will work. Of course, flavor will change a bit, but it’s be great still.
The main filling ingredient is ground pork, to which you can add/substitute with shrimp/fish to variate the flavor. Some can even replace pork with chicken or turkey. Just remember to adjust seasoning and add ginger if you’re swapping.
Another note is cooking method. To preserve all the flavor, best method is steam. However, you can also boil them for 5 minutes or so, then the boiled water can be added with ginger and seasoning to be good soup indeed.
Recipe for Cabbage rolls
- 1 large cabbage
- ½ lb pork
- ⅔ cup mixed veggies (corn, carrot…)
- 12 leaves green onion
- a handful of black fungus or mushroom
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp seasoning powder of choice
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Cut pork into 1 inch cubes.
- Add pork cubes, mixed veggies, black fungus/mushroom and all seasoning to food processor and process a couple seconds. Do not grind too much, leave some to texture.
- Wash and carefully separate cabbage leaves. Separate the green leaves from the white bulb of green onion/scallion. You can use these bulb for other recipes or finely chopped and mix in with the ground pork mixture.
- Bring a large pork of water to boil, then parboil cabbage leaves and green onion leaf to soften them up.
- Carefully use soften cabbage leaves to wrap and roll minced pork, use green onion to tie them.
- Steam cabbage roll for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot with dipping soy sauce or as is.